"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Skittles...

I volunteer in the boys' classrooms once a week.  Dylan's class (3rd grade) has matured past making turkeys out of construction paper and "kid stuff" in general.  Carson's class (1st grade) however is in its prime.  I sat there today cutting, folding, stapling, and hole-punching construction paper into books. I know this took much skill and this is why she asked me to do this task! ;)  Anyway, while I work, I observe.

Carson's teacher rewards good behavior, returned papers, etc. with a Skittle.  Mind you, one Skittle would only leave me wanting more, but these 1st graders seem content.  I notice that these kids work for these Skittles and most of the time, they only get one.  All that effort for one measly Skittle?!  

It makes me think that while the Bible says we should not do good deeds to receive praise from man, it's still nice to hear.  God loves our praise and we are made from his image therefore, I think we need it, too.  Now, I'm not saying that you must make an effort to "attaboy" everything, but I think we all need a Skittle every now and then.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Philippians 4:8
  

No comments:

Post a Comment